Sunday 12 November 2017

Experimenting with marks and materials

After having done my colour experiments with red and experimenting with the different types of marks that I could create to evoke mood and atmosphere, I went on to use these marks and combine them with different materials to increase and develop textures in my work. As the colours that I was using in these experiments are based on the colour red and the harmonious colours that go along with it, I think that when comparing the work to an animal, it would be one of a nature that is fierce and quite brutal. For instance, a lion. Some of the marks that were created on the materials were inspired by the work of Agnus Cecile due to her unique textures and marks that she is able to create with her mediums.

1 - When creating this experiment, I was able to show a gradual change in colour as it went from yellow to red to black as I used a sponge to delicately overlay each colour. I used a wood similar to chipboard as I though that this would give a rough texture and would link well to the mood and colours that I was using in the piece. I like the rough texture that is created when the paint hits the surface.
2 - I also like these marks that are created on this surface as they represent the fierceness that I wanted to show in the piece as I will most likely end up pairing these marks with a lion. I like how I have almost fragmented the composition by only applying the marks to the chipboard that I used and I think this would work well when placed onto a photo.

3 - I don't really like this use of cardboard with the marks as it creates certain patterned marks that I don't think work well when compared to the mood and atmosphere that the colours evoke. Additionally, I don't really like the marks that I have created as it appears more like block colour than actual expressive marks.
4 - On the other hand, I do like these marks as they are quite subtle and would work well on a photo as it won't distract the viewer too much from looking at the main focus of the piece, that will be the human and animal aspect of the composition.  I do think that these marks work well with the cardboard when compared to the chipboard as the marks come out smoother on the cardboard.
With both of these experiments, I believe that the marks will suit the ferocity of the animal I will choose, however I think that they overpower the materials used and therefore will definitely overpower the portrait and animal drawing that is created. I believe that the variety of colours in experiment no. 5 is much better than those in no. 6 due to the range of harmonious colours that go with red. However, I do also like the subtlety of the marks in no. 6 as the colours blend well together, even through the use of dry brush.
7 - Overall, I really like this experiment as I used the marks that I have previously liked working with. As the base layer, I used a sponge to gradually blend yellow into red and red into black; this also created a fairly rough texture. I then used the edges of a piece of cardboard to create the angular, linear marks in the wet paint. Whilst this was drying, I used the same technique on the chipboard and then broke it apart so that I could glue each fragment, like experiment 2, onto the first created marks. The marks on the chipboard came out a lot darker du etc the brown colour it originally had. This composition was made with the combination of the marks and layout from my favourite techniques from the previous experiments. I believe that this shows development. One thing that I wish I could have done to better this composition was make the blend between yellow and red more subtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COURSEWORK EVALUATION.

From the very beginning of my coursework, my main intention was to show the differences in animals and humans in my work, however I abando...