Monday 26 June 2017

The Art Show

Over the past week, I helped to set up the art studios to be ready for the upcoming show. I helped move the tables, chairs, student work and at one point, I even filled some of the holes where nails had been in the walls. Overall, I think I completed these jobs easily, even though it took a lot of work. However, I was unable to attend the show on opening night due to complications with ways of getting to college. I did, fortunately get the chance to see some of the work after the main show and how it was presented.
After having looked at all of the pieces in the show, I was particularly interested in two pieces created by two foundation students:







Installation piece
Jack
2017
Mixed media




From first impressions, I thought that the piece represented his life and how he is an extravagant person and that people may see him in a different way (this could be represented by the way that some of the mise-en-scene is destroyed and broken). I really like the way that he has placed the blinds over the mirror in this piece due to the fact that when you look in it, you appear fragmented, which is a similar impression that I am potentially aiming for in my current work. Additionally, I like the layout of the composition as he has achieved balanced throughout the piece, which once again is something that I am aiming for. Also, I like how he has managed to bring together a variety of different materials that work well together and give contrast when it comes to texture and colour.






Installation piece
Amber
2017
Mixed media





When walking through this piece, I thought of family trees and how everyone is linked through family; that we are all tied together in society (the string and rope that was tied together helped me come to this conclusion), however after asking her what her composition was about, I realised that it was more personal than I thought; this is something that I really need to think about when it comes to my work as it will help strengthen the overall outcome. Meanwhile, something that I was fascinated by was the use of the light, more bland colours with hints of bright colours on the inside. This captured my attention more than some of the other pieces that were just all colour. Something that I could take from her work is the idea of creating a walk through so that people aren't distracted by anything and that they are just focussing on my work.

When you combine both pieces together, the main ideas that really struck me was the installation layout. I want the audience to feel enticed by my work and to feel surrounded by it so that they really think about the meaning behind the composition.


No comments:

Post a Comment

COURSEWORK EVALUATION.

From the very beginning of my coursework, my main intention was to show the differences in animals and humans in my work, however I abando...