Thursday 15 June 2017

Textural experiment with photos

Our task was too use texture in a way that supports our photos and conveys the theme more successfully. At the start, I found this quite difficult as I am always very organised and as a result, I started to cram the photos into one piece. However I then went and got a variety of boards that had different textures on them and I started to match the photos with its own board, regarding colour, textures and marks. After having done this, I started to place each photo on its own board in a variety of positions so that I could see what composition was best. I then figured out how it would be best to cut each board down and to what size so that the composition of each piece is improved. 

I then went on to refine my textural pieces by cutting out the specific scale of board that I wanted for my photos as the individual photos were being overwhelmed by texture initially when on a large scale. I found it quite difficult to saw off wood from what I wanted as I have never used a saw before, however I think that I started to get the hang of the technique towards the end. 


In Tuesday's lesson, we carried on working with our textural compositions so that we could develop and refine them. After Monday's lesson, when I decreased the scale of the boards, I wanted to place the photos onto the boards in the same way that I had planned to do however, I realised that after I had cut them down, the composition did not look right. Therefore I slightly changed the arrangement of the photos to match the movement and colour of the textures. Afterwards, I stuck them down in the position that I wanted, and then I tried to figure out how to blend those photos into its background as they stood out too much and didn't create the depth that I wanted. Each board had its own texture and colour, which is why I chose separate ways of blending. With the fish double exposure board, I used recycled paper, due to it being the same texture as the board and I also painted these parts with dark green ink as it helped to blend in the white paper to the green background. Meanwhile, with the butterfly double exposure board, I used blue ink and dripped it down the board as these marks resembled the frailty of the butterfly and delicate wings that the butterfly has. Additionally, I used the dry brush technique with the cheetah double exposure as it helped continue the marks from the board through, onto the photo, which worked quite well. The final piece I created was the owl piece which was blended onto the background that has nature on it with recycled paper as the colours and textures are similar. If I were to improve this, I would maybe add some cardboard as well, due to the fact that the colours of these are very similar. After creating these pieces, I had to place each piece onto the wall in a way that shows off each aspect of the work without distractions from the other pieces created by other people around it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

COURSEWORK EVALUATION.

From the very beginning of my coursework, my main intention was to show the differences in animals and humans in my work, however I abando...