Thursday 26 October 2017

First fully edited digital composition.

After completing multiple experiments with colour in my experimental sketchbook and a couple of drawings with pen, I wanted to combine these with my photos from a previous shoot to create a composition that was unique to me.
I used these different pieces to make the final composition:
1 - These marks were a combination of dry oil pastel, acrylic and watercolour. This was originally two separate pieces however I thought that they worked quite well together so rather than recreating the marks in my book, I layered them on Photoshop.
2 - This photo was taken in a photoshoot in the studio and I wanted to choose an animal that would harmonise with the composition of this portrait.
3 - This drawing was created on a sheet of acetate with a sharpie after creating a couple of other drawings like this. I really like the expressive marks that I have used and I think that it would work well with the marks that I have created for the background (1).
My Final Composition:
In order to create this photo, I had to layer each aspect so that the expressive marks were in the background, the portrait was in the mid ground and the butterfly was in the foreground. This creates depth in the composition, which is something that I like about the piece. I decided to change the colour of the butterfly to match the colour in the rest of the composition as this is something that I was influenced by in Flora Borsi's work. I used this similar colour palette throughout each layer of the piece as Borsi uses a constant colour scheme throughout her pieces to find common ground between humans and animals. Meanwhile, I also took inspiration from Vince Low's work as I used expressive line in the butterfly drawing to give the piece energy. Also, I am happy with the influence that I took from Agnus Cecile's work as I took her expressive mark making and made it my own, whilst also using harmonious colours to create balance and subtlety. I used the colour blue as I think that it reflects a butterfly quite well as it makes me think of something that is delicate and vulnerable. Additionally, I used more curvaceous marks in the background as I think this would convey a delicate or fragile atmosphere when compared to the atmosphere that more angular sharp lines would have created.

The butterfly in the piece was inspired by a combination of both Vince Low's work and the Santana Borboletta album cover.

The Santana Borboletta Album Cover.
Section from Vince Low's "Mr Bean"
Biro
As you can see, I have been influenced by the butterfly in the album cover, whilst also being influenced by its main colour scheme. Along with this I have also infused Vince Low's chaotic lines as I think whilst my intention is to show calmness, I want some energy and life to be shown and to do this, I was chaotically making the marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COURSEWORK EVALUATION.

From the very beginning of my coursework, my main intention was to show the differences in animals and humans in my work, however I abando...